Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Knitting

I started out with big ambitious plans to make felted slippers for my family and all of my inlaws. I ended up making only three pairs, which I gave to my parents and my brother.

Check out before:


Note that cat is shown for scale purposes only.


She wanted to model, really!


I have very docile cats. Do not try this at home

And after:


It's like shrinky dinks for grown-ups! I admit I had my doubts that they would actually shrink to the correct size, especially since I only have access to a front-loading washer. They are still a tad baggy in the toes-- the red ones are a bit reminiscent of Ronald McDonald. This may be because my family members all wear half sizes. Had I perhaps made the instep 1/2" shorter, they'd probably fit perfectly. For a first felting project, I'm pretty stoked with how they turned out-- and my parents and brother were appropriately baffled when they opened the ginormous socks.

As it turns out, I was unable to resist putting my newly-acquired Continental knitting skills to the test in a little display of newlywed cuteness:


And since we are equal in all things:



Isn't it adorable when stockings cuddle?


2 comments:

  1. i am a little scandalized!

    but seriously aimee, you are a knitting badass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my sister made a pair of felted booties too (not for me, though)! she crocheted them rather than knitted. i'm going to send you the picture.

    ReplyDelete