Monday, November 23, 2009

Post-vacation hangover

If I may quote that fount of wisdom and one-liners, Hedwig Schmidt, "Travel exhausts me." We left Vieques yesterday at noon and didn't arrive home until around 9PM. I think it may have erased much of the benefit of a week spent sitting on various idyllic deserted beaches-- I know, white people problems, right? It was my first time on a tropical island, and I feel somewhat conflicted about the whole experience. Maybe I'm just not cut out for the laid-back island lifestyle. And there is certainly little use for warm woolen hand-knits in the Caribbean.

I was quite successful in my knitting mission and am now fairly proficient at Continental knitting. The real test will be two-color stranding with yarn in EACH hand. Alas, I shall have to postpone such feats of skill for another time, for the holidays are upon us, I'm feeling poor, and there are presents to be made. I have decided on felted slippers for my family and in-laws... holy shit, I have in-laws.

Every holiday season, the same thing occurs. I fall in love with an expensive coat or pair of boots at the same time I have to buy presents for everyone. I remain coat- and boot-less. This year is even more pathetic given the money shelled out for wedding and honeymoon. There is no WAY I am getting these (for example):


Yes, they are perfect, yes they are on sale, but no, I have to buy a bunch of presents for other people, most of which are unneeded and unwanted, in exchange for things I neither want nor need. Bah humbug.

At least Patons yarn is both $4.99 a skein AND perfect for felting. I have eight pairs to make, so I'd better get cracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment